Thursday, January 12, 2006

Intelligent Design ruled to be stupid.


I am of course paraphrasing, but great news for the rational thought lobby!

The court case brought by concerned parents against the Dover Area School Board in Pennsylvania last year over the proposed teaching of "Intelligent Design", a trumped up version of Creationism that states the natural world's complexity is due to its being kickstarted by an intelligent designer (I can smell bullshit, dunno bout the rest of you), has been victorious. A federal judge ruled against the school board.

Essentially the entire ID debacle was started when members of the board planned to basicially teach religion in biology class (I know I am really compressing the issue but I'm short on time). As I'm sure most of you know, the US Constitution forbids the mixing of Church and State-or so it has been read to have done over the past 200+ years.

Said Judge John Jones, "We find that the secular purposes claimed by the Board amount to a pretext for the Board's real purpose, which was to promote religion in the public school classroom."
So that's that really.

Now I am aware that the theory of evolution is merely a theory, and that it does not provide conclusive and exhaustive proof of its claims (if it did, I presume it would be called the Law of Evolution..mebbe I'm wrong), but there is simply no other competing theory that I am aware of that is founded on the same rational thought and scientific research.

Good day for every American worried about the stability of the wall between Church and State. And for the rest of us who are deeply unnerved by the rise of the evangelical right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home