Thursday, December 08, 2005

Mary II and Elizabeth II



Good to see the continued dialogue between the Queen and our own dear Uachtarain.

Those of you missed this, Her Majesty and Her Excellency met in Hillsborough Castle today. This is the first meeting between the Irish and British Heads of State on the island of Ireland since King George V visited in 1911 and looked in a mirror (if you follow).

This increases speculation that the Queen will visit the Republic next year, the first visit of a British monarch south of the border since the one I circuitously mentioned above.

Now, I have a personal hang up about the length of a two-term presidency (one I share with Pat Rabbitte). I think 14 years is too long for someone to stay in elected office, even if they are a figure head. And I do sometimes get irritated by the President's adoption of the Government's policy of "shake the hand of every republican in sight", but she's doing a pretty good job, especially with relations with our nearest neighbour.
So keep it up, Ma'm, and we might find a UN retirement for you yet!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Good to see the continued dialogue between the Queen and our own dear Uachtarain."

I do believe that you will find that "the queen" should in fact be referred to as the "English queen" and not "the queen" as "the queen" could refer to any tens of queens the world over. just a note

Regards,

8:02 AM  
Blogger FJR said...

Yeah, you're right. I was just re-reading it there and I though "Oh my God, someone will confuse her with the Netherland's Queen Beatrix..."

But then I realised that if someone were too blind to see the picture above, they would also probably not be able to read the text.

lol, but thanks!

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home