Monday, September 19, 2005

Halliburton is Halliback


I know I said in an earlier post that I wanted to be a DART driver, because they get paid by the carriage nowadays.

But I've changed my mind.

I want to be a corporation.

Not a diseased hulking abberation like Dublin Corpo. No, no I want to be a major American Corporation that supports the Republican Party.

Because then, apparently, the rules don't apply to you.

I say all this because it turns out that in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, President Bush-the man we just all love to hate (or at least be bewildered by)-has gone off and awarded the extremely lucrative contracts for the rebuilding of New Orleans to Halliburton, Bechtel and other big backers of the GOP.

I can't believe it.

Well in fairness, I can. But the audacity of this administration really is gobsmacking.

These are corporations that ran up hundreds of millions of misspent dollars in Iraq, and now they're being handed the contracts for the largest rebuilding project in US history, without an open bid?

The cronyism is staggering.

The politicians aren't in cahoots with big business in America. The politicians are big business in America.

You'd think the Vice President's links to Halliburton would make the whole thing just too unsavoury for the Bush White House to just give them a contract in New Orleans, but no that just doesn't seem to occur.

Not only is this corruption, but it also damages the very nature of the free market that the US so zealously protects around the world. Surely the best corporations for the job should get the contracts, not the ones with the most former employees and executive officers working in the current government?

Ah I don't know. I mean, I 'm not an American so at least I can shrug the whole thing off as not directly affecting me. They're not my taxes.
But I can't believe that the American public isn't outraged about this sort of carry on, and that they're elected representatives aren't berating the hell out of the President for the sorry little back room deal he's conducting while thousands upon thousands suffer in his own country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home